Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ghost Whispering

With our large van out of commission on the south side of Naples, FL after leaving the COS symposium, we were able to convince my eldest son, Josh, to come pick us up. This made for a rather harrowing early morning ride back to Orlando with two rather tired drivers (Josh and myself) taking tandem shifts to get us back. The van still in Naples, we had it towed to a nearby shop where they proceeded to repair it in our absence.

This, of course, meant that we had to go retrieve it once it had been fixed. So, Josh, Timothy (my 2nd oldest son) and I made the trip back down to Naples yesterday. Since we were already so close to the Fakahatchee Strand, Tim and I decided to press on to the swamp while Josh headed back to finish studying for finals coming up. I probably would get an award for evil dad of the day trying to convince Josh to postpone his studies and join us in the Fak...alas, he is too diligent of a student!

Now, I knew that this is late in the season to find blooming ghost orchids (Dendrophylax lindenii)...and a check of our usual haunts turned up bloomless plants. I had lost almost all hope when I followed my maps to one final plant seen on several trips before. This is the same plant showing a double bloom on my ghost orchid gallery page.

As I sighted up the trunk of the tree, my eyes were met with one of the last ghost orchid flowers of the season. I pointed this out to Tim, whose audible sigh let me know that he was experiencing that 'first ghost orchid in the wild' feeling. I had experienced this to some extent when seeing the ghost orchid at Corkscrew Swamp, but even moreso when I had seen my first flower only a few feet out of reach in the middle of the deep swamp.

It was a good thing I had my Canon 70-300 mm telephoto lens this day, as about 30 feet of stifling, mosquito-laden air separated me from my prize. We stayed there for roughly an hour, photographing the flower every time the light was good and the breeze was light. Here is a photo from this day...the day Tim whispered a sigh of awe at seeing his first wild ghost.

4 comments:

dkchristi said...

Check out www.swspotlight.org Quest for the Ghost Orchid for a glimpse of the magnificent Blair Audubon Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary ghost orchid plant with twelve blooms. The story and photo were from the third week in July. There should be at least two more (though perhaps less grand) bloomings yet in August and September if its pattern holds. www.dkchristi.com

dkchristi said...

Apologies - recent blog regarding www.swpotlight.org should have been www.spotlight.com to see the story, Quest for the Ghost Orchid and a great picture of twelve blooms in mid July. www.dkchristi.com Southwest Florida Spotlight is also available in print at many public places in and around Bonita Springs and mailed to 17,000 Bonita Springs residents. You may already have a copy if you live in Bonita Springs.

Mirta Heineman said...

Dear Prem, thanks for the great recap of our Symposium. We are very happy that it was a success and that we were privilege
to have you as one of our guest speakers.
Thank-you if not enough to express our feeling about you and your participation.

Mirta R. Heineman
COS President

Anonymous said...

Nice photos of the ghost orchid. We were planning on paying a visit to South Florida to see the ghost orchids in bloom, but couldn't seem to get away from our busy schedule.

Thanks for sharing.

John & Patti Conrader
NerdsGeekGurus,LLC - Orchid Notebook iPhone App

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...